Sunday, January 22, 2012

Thai Cafe

1041 Broad Ripple Avenue

Indianapolis, IN  46220

317-722-1008

Thai Cafe


The last destination to find the best Thai fried rice in Indianapolis led me to Thai Cafe in Broad Ripple. I had been told that this is the best in the City by my roommate and my brother. I had a couple days off during Christmas and JBH and I decided to give it a try. It is located on Broad Ripple Ave in the shopping center across from the high school.

Thai Cafe is bigger than Thai Papaya, but smaller than Sawasdee. The tables are close to each other, but it wasn't crowded enough that you were stacked on top of someone else. The decor is Thai inspired, just like the other restaurants. The service was quick and the wait staff is very friendly. 

Our soup came out within minutes of ordering and the entrees followed soon after. The flavor of the soup was unlike anything I have had in Thai restaurants. I seems like it has a lemongrass base with chili oil on top. The flavor develops as you eat the soup. It starts out mild then then sour, and it has a kick at the end. They also give you the crispy noodles to add to the soup. Those add a nice crunch and a little bit of saltiness. There is also cilantro and Thai basil which add freshness. I ordered the Kao Pad. It is fried rice with your choice of protien with onion, peas, carrots, and egg.  Here the heat levels range from 1 to 5. The first two times I chose 3. The last time, I manned up and ordered a 4. The 3 is how a medium should be. It has definite heat, but not over powering. I think I will stick to the four. It brought the perfect amount of heat. I broke a little bit of a sweat eating it, but it was a healthy burn. The 5 would be a little too much for me. I will have to agree with my brother and roommate and say that this is the best Thai in the city. The entire dish just worked as a whole. The peas and carrots added a little bit of sweetness to an otherwise spicy dish. The egg added texture. The rice was not as greasy as the other restaurants. I can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant 3 times in the span of a month. That is just proof how much I liked the Thai Cafe. I have a feeling that this will become like Yen Ching and the staff will know me by name whenever I come in. Apologies for the lack of pictures on the fried rice. My pictures were wiped clean on my phone and I will have to add the next time I go back. 

"If there hadn't been women, we'd still be squatting in a cave EAting raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girlfriends." -Orson Welles


Thai Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment