Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hoaglin to Go

448 Massachusetts Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(317) 423-0300
Hoaglin To Go

It was a Friday afternoon, and I took a half day at work. I was going to run some errands downtown and had previously ordered take out with JBH once, and had wanted to go back. I never really eat alone, but it is a nice change of pace. Often times, you are too busy conversing and never really get the chance to relax a little bit, think, and enjoy your meal. Hoaglin is located on Mass Ave, and Michigan St. It is a quaint little bistro with about 20 or so tables. Take note of the hours, as it is not open all day. It was pretty busy, as it was the one time I went to pick up food to go. The clientele is a nice blend of workers on their lunch break, students on their laptops, moms with their kids, and a few hipsters. I'm surprised they aren't busy occupying something. I think I am going to occupy my roommate's bedroom until he lets me get cable in my bedroom. That might get a little weird though and I think he will kick me out. Good thing he doesn't read this. Back to the decor of the restaurant. I loved it. Each table had a fresh Gerber daisy in a tiny vase (I only noticed this because the ladies next to me mentioned that they always have fresh daisies). It was intimate, yet not cramped. I guess the only problem I had was that I was sharing a bench with another lady and she leaned forward and brought me with her. I didn't think that was possible as I am a pretty big guy and I had my entire weight on the bench. She wasn't an exceptionally large lady, she was just Country Strong. Right WJB?

I absolutely loved the egg salad last time I ordered it, and was debating between one of four of their chicken salads or the egg salad. I couldn't pass up the egg salad. According to Indianapolis Monthly, it is the city's best egg salad. I am going to have to agree with them. I know it is not as good as the egg salad at Lil' Guys, but it sure is close. The difference is Hoaglin's is a little more creamy than Lil' Guys. Probably has a little more mayo/mustard. The other ingredients are onion, bell pepper, and fresh dill. I chose the sourdough bread. The only problem with sourdough is that unless toasted, it falls apart pretty easily. Each bite, the bread would crumble, so it was a little on the messy side. No major complaints though, because each bit also had ample amounts of egg salad. I decided to swap out the kettle chips for a cup of soup ($3 extra). They had two soups to choose from; chicken corn chowder and black bean. I asked the waiter for his suggestion and he said the chicken complete with a caveat that one lady did not like it. I wanted some sort of meat with my meal, so I went with the chicken. I'm used to chowders being a little more creamy, this one was had a chicken stock base. It was more of like a chicken soup than a chowder. It was all white meat chicken though, and had onion, carrots, and bell peppers. It was pretty good. It was a chilly day, so it hit the spot. I promise I won't try to start a trend of soup/salad or soup/sandwich posts, but with the seasons ahead, it looks like it might be the case.

"The most important things to do in the world are to get something to EAt, something to drink, and somebody to love you." -Brenda Ueland


Hoaglin To Go Cafe & Marketplace on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment