Monday, December 5, 2011

Road Trip Bloomington, IN: Buffa Louie's

114 S. Indiana Avenue 
Bloomington, IN  
(812) 333-3030  

The first time we ever ordered Buffa Louie's was during the infamous 2004 Super Bowl (the one where Janet Jackson showed the world her boobie). We were freshmen at IU, living in McNutt Crone. We ordered 2 buckets of Buffa Louie's and snuck in a couple six packs of Rolling Rock Green Light (We didn't know any better, and my roommate was watching his carb intake). Ever since that night, Buffa Louie's became my favorite wing place in Bloomington. There is only one location now, located at The Gables on Indiana Ave. The location is famous, as Jazz great Hoagy Carmichael penned part of "Star Dust" there. The interior is full of IU memorabilia, from signed posters to flags and banners, it is a great place to see the rich tradition of Indiana University. There are essentially three levels of seating and the restaurant is pretty large. It is usually pretty packed when IU is hosting a basketball or football game. It is a great place to take the kids as well, as it is one of the more family friendly places near Kirkwood. My only knock on the place, is that the service can be on the slow side. By "service", I mean the amount of time it takes to get food to the table from ordering. There isn't a traditional wait staff, as it is a place where you order and then pick up your food at the counter. 
Buffa Louie's offers 15 different kinds of sauces, ranging from Buffalo Sauces (Mild, Medium, Hot, T.N.T, and Volcanic), Mrs. Louie's BBQ (Sweet Q, Mild Q, Medium Q, Hot Q, T.N.T Q, and Volcanic Q), and Exotic (Teriyaki, Honey Garlic, and Hot Garlic). It is nice how boneless and traditional wings are the same price. I ordered the Louie's Dozen (15 wings). I was able to get 2 different sauces; 10 Hot BBQ & 5 Hot Garlic and celery and bleu cheese. I wanted to try new sauces and I wasn't very impressed. I think the HOT should be a little hotter. There was a strong Garlic and BBQ flavor, but the wings lacked heat. I do like that the wings are covered in sauce. It is always disappointed to find that dry spot on a wing. I really like the curly fries at Buffa Louie's and I was remiss to not order them. The random piece of bread in the picture is their cheese bread. It was nothing special, and RFS ordered it, so I tried it. When I go back, I will make sure to order the T.N.T and the Teriyaki, which were my previous go-to sauces.

"I really believe the only way to stay healthy is to EAt properly, get your rest and exercise. If you don't exercise and do the other two, I still don't think it's going to help you that much." -Mike Ditka

No comments:

Post a Comment