Sunday, February 20, 2011

Monon Food Company


6420 Cornell
Indianapolis, IN 46220

Monon Food Company

Saturday night and we were warring over where to eat. I personally wanted something on the lighter side as I knew that I had a long night of drinking ahead. I just wanted a sandwich as I shot down the idea of Qdoba pretty quickly. Well we decided on Monon Food Co. I really like the decor of the restaurant. I love the artwork on the walls. It is a very clean looking restaurant. This is the second time I have been here and  each time the weather was not nice enough to sit on the patio. Outdoor dining for some reason reminds me of Chicago. I've always said that Indy needs more outdoor patio restaurants. It was late in the evening and we were the last patrons to enter the restaurant. By the end of the meal, we had the whole place to ourselves.

 For my entree, I went with the Cajun Meatloaf Sliders. What stuck out to me was they were served on a pretzel roll. I love the change from a regular bun to something more out of the ordinary. The meatloaf had a strong spicy Cajun flavor. The pepper jack cheese was melted perfectly and the Chipotle mayo was not overpowering. I'm not a huge fan of mayo, and I appreciate how they do not load up the slider with sauce.  The meatloaf was also distributed evenly over the roll, so each bite had a bit of everything. I'd say one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to a sandwich, is at the end when you are left with a bunch of bread and no meat. As a side dish, I ordered the Mac N Cheese. I was informed that to generate a nice crust on the dish, they reheat the mac n cheese on skillet. I'd say it was pretty average. I didn't really add a lot to my meal, and it didn't help we decided to eat late in the day. The mac just wasn't that fresh. The noodles were a little on the hard side, but the flavor was there. My adult beverage for the night was a Sun King Cream Ale. Right now, I'd say it is my favorite brew. I like the light, refreshing taste.  The dessert was the best and the worst decision I made all night. I
was still pretty full, but our lovely waitress said they had carrot cake cupcakes. Now there are three desserts in this world I have a hard time turning down: Cheesecake, Bananas Foster, and Carrot Cake. The carrot cake was very moist. The cream cheese frosting was delicious and not too overpowering. The sauce you see is a caramel sauce. Presentation-wise, I'd give this a 9. Taste was a resounding 10. The carrots were very prevalent throughout, and there weren't any raisins in the cake. I hate raisins in carrot cake. I'll save those for my oatmeal cookies. Okay, now you are wondering why it was the worst decision I made. Well as I said it was Saturday night and I was already full. The result is Public Enemy #1 when you are trying to party. The dessert put me over the edge and I couldn't put down as many libations as I wanted. Oh well. Good food won over a night of boozing.

The service was perfect. Our waitress was always around, asking if we needed anything. I guess the one knock was that she gave a cheap shot to our high school alma mater, not knowing we went there. She also was very helpful in cleaning the mess I made when I knocked over MWF's Miller Lite all over his iPhone.  I swear, I only had one Cream Ale. I blame him anyways for ordering a crappy beer. And the vortex bottle only helped the beer spill out faster.

What to take from Monon Food Co.: As much as I enjoyed the sliders, order the tacos there. They are stuffed full of all sorts of delicious ingredients. The buffalo chicken and the fish tacos are amazing. Eat early, especially if you want to party, because they offer very generous servings of food and you will leave stuffed.

"To EAt is human, to digest, divine." ~Mark Twain

Monon Food Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment